Friday, September 16, 2011

Friday Favourites - Running Book part 1

If I haven't mentioned it before, I have a degree in English Rhetoric and Professional writing. That means I love, love, love, love books. I try to read as much as I can, though sadly with two little babies, one who is up really late eating, usually means I don't get too much time to read. I usually can manage to read magazines but that is another blog entry. So my Friday favourite this week will be a review of my favourite book for marathon training. Overall I enjoyed the book and plan to start reading it again to help me train for my half marathon in 2011.


Title: Advanced Marathoning -2nd edition

Authors: Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas

How I found it: I bought this book when I started running in early 2010. I wanted a book that was scientifically informative and not so much fluff. I actually sat on the floor of chapters for a good half hour going through all the books on the running shelf to pick it. Lillian was in her stroller and I kept pushing the stroller with my right arm and flipping throw books with the left. I considered one that focused on women running but I wanted one that my hubby could use too. So this one was a great fit.

Summary: This book is very knowledgeable about many things. It details the importance of nutrition and taught me a lot about hydration which I was very worried about. It also focuses on training and recovery. The first chapter Elements of Training explains a lot about the science behind running, and goes into detail about VO2max oxygen, the importance of glycogen. It also has a large portion of the book dedicated to training programs. These programs, are divided into number of miles you plan to run per week.

Likes: I really found a lot of the information about glycogen, hydration, iron, and protein helpful. I have issues with iron so getting a bit of knowledge about what running does to your iron levels was helpful. I also like the VO2max information since I wonder whether I could be a better short distance runner if I managed to get my lungs to keep up with my legs when I run. Usually I feel the pain in my legs first on a long run, but my lungs give up on a hard short run. I also like the race day strategy chapter, as I read it a few times before my first race and it helped me feel less nervous.

Dislikes: Half the book is training plans, which are great, but I have a living trainer who helps me, and I felt like the book ended too soon. I wanted to read more about the nutrition or science of running and it just seemed to end too quickly. A lot of the chapters have little blurbs about famous runners, and I felt like they were breaking up the chapter a bit. When they were discussing the nutrition and levels of things in the body, they used a lot of more scientific terms and sometimes it was a bit harder to understand.

Facts and/or Wishes: I was amused to find out that my running BFF has the same book in the first edition. I loved the fact that it tries to teach you how to grab water while running. I wish the book was longer, and that it went a bit more into detail about differences in how women and men run, how things change with age, and other topics that effect the people who are reading the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment