An internet search defines a runner as all of the following:
- A person, animal, or thing that runs, especially as a racer.
- A fugitive.
- One who carries messages or runs errands.
- One who serves as an agent or collector, as for a bank or brokerage house.
- One who solicits business, as for a hotel or store.
- A smuggler: a narcotics runner.
- One who operates or manages something: the runner of a series of gambling operations.
- A device in or on which something slides or moves, as:
- The blade of a skate.
- The supports on which a drawer slides.
- A long narrow carpet.
- A long narrow tablecloth.
- A roller towel.
But if you define a runner as something that runs, especially in races, then I guess I am a runner. I have run 6 races in all of 2010 and 2011, but for 2012 I'm registering for 8! In addition to that one of them is a half marathon and one is a full marathon. That is a huge increase in race quantity and distance! But I still find it hard to see myself as a runner. Maybe it's because of how slowly I run when I run, or because I ... I don't know. I have no reason to not consider myself a runner, but I don't. I still think of myself as a fake sometimes. Like I am just in disguise and one day everyone will see me as the athletic fraud that I am. You can buy the fancy running shoes, jacket, and cool clothes, but if I'm running slower than average then I feel like I'm not a runner. So I use the term loosely when I write about myself on this blog but I don't feel like I'm a runner.
I'm not sure why but I feel as if I need to run a 10 minute mile to be an actual runner. That may be crazy or really arbitrary but that's how I feel.