Needless to say, my plans for this race have changed a bit. I was hoping to hit my 7:06 pace for the race, which is what I'll need to run a 2:30 half-marathon in April, but now I'm not sure how well that will go. I plan to dress up in my winter warmies, meaning my thick running shirt, windbreaker, mittens, hat, cold weather running socks and my head phones will keep my ears warm while I listen to music. As for my shoes, I plan to bring my two outside pairs, and decide when I get there whether I'll need my yak tracks or not. Since the weather is so cold, I'll make sure to have some hankies with me (my husband and I use handkerchiefs instead of tissues) and some warm water in my water belt in case my throat dries out. I also plan to have a nuun in one of those water bottles to give me a little boost, and I may bring a gel too, even though I hate them. I know I can run outside in the cold, but honestly I don't perform my best under these conditions so I will have to do my best and hope that I can hit a few of my goals.
So now my goals are as follows:
- finish without freezing to death
- finish without ending up on my butt
- crush my horror hill pace (7:59)
- aim to get as close to my 7:06 pace as I can
- try to keep a fairly steady, comfortable pace so I don't stop a lot
- not get a tummy ache from all the food I'm going to eat at the post run brunch